Friday, September 11, 2009

Squirrel Nut Zippers!

Mandi gave me some of these candies the other day because they reminded her of me. I don't know why. Maybe because I ate a couple squirrels, or just because its a ridiculous name. In any case I got to thinking about the name and realized that there is a ska band called "Squirrel Nut Zippers". So I thought that they must be named after these candies. They were actually named after moon shine. Nut zipper is a term used for moon shine in the south. In the 1920's a man got drunk and climbed into a tree. The police came and tried to talk him down but he would not come down. A newspaper asked why, and his reply was simply, "It must have been the nut zipper". The title of the article was, "SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPER". So out of curiosity I looked up the history of the candy. Squirrel Brand Company made this new candy in the 1920's and needed a name. The article caught the attention of the owner. See, both the candy company and the newspaper that printed the article are in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The article ran during the same time the company was looking for a name. Nut Zipper's are now owned by NECCO. -Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment